Penn State announced that it will be raising parking rates for students, faculty and staff starting July 1.
Employee rates will increase between $2 and $4 per month, while students will see increases between $8 and $30 for the 2022 fall semester, depending on permit type. Evening/weekend-only passes for faculty, staff, students and visitors will also be discontinued starting June 30, according to a Wednesday press release.
The university will raise prices again for the 2023-24 school year. Penn State noted that it will be the first parking rate increase for faculty/staff permits since 2013. The fees are used for campus transportation programs and the upkeep of parking facilities.
“While every effort is made to keep rates as low as possible, the upcoming rate increases are critical to seeing that Transportation Services can continue to meet the parking and transportation needs of the University community,” said Sara Thorndike, senior vice president for Finance and Business/treasurer, in the release.
Here’s what to know about the upcoming increases:
Parking changes for 2022-23
- Faculty and staff core permits (Brown, Green, Orange, Red, Silver, Yellow) will increase from $37 per month to $39 per month.
- Faculty and staff commuter permits will increase from $10 per month to $12 per month.
- Student commuter permit rates will increase from $45 per semester to $54 per semester.
- Student residential permit rates for Lot 22, Lot 42, Lot 81, Lot 82 and YWH/Nittany Deck will increase from $320 to $336 per semester
- Permits for students at White Course Apartments will remain $162 a semester but will not be included in the lease agreement starting fall 2022.
Parking changes for 2023-24
- Faculty core permits will increase from $39 to $40 per month for technical service employees and from $39 to $41 per month for all other faculty/staff employees.
- Faculty commuter permits will increase from $12 to $13 per month for technical service employees and from $12 to $14 per month for all other faculty/staff employees.
- Student commuter permit rates will increase from $54 to $63 per semester.
- Student residential permit rates will increase from $336 per semester to $353 per semester.
- Permit rates for students at White Course Apartments will increase from $162 per semester to $203 per semester.